A helpful guide to thrifting

 

I'm sure you've figured out by now how much I enjoy thrifting; it's my kind of therapy when I'm feeling down or sad. It's how I mix and match and experiment with different styles, and it also allows me to save a lot of money. People thrift for a variety of reasons. Some do it because they are poor and must provide for their entire family, while others do it because they enjoy antique collecting, vintage clothing, and so on. Thrifting is enjoyable because it allows people to be as creative as they want without breaking the bank.

In my previous blog, I discussed the myths and benefits of thrifting, but if this is your first time thrifting, you will find it extremely difficult to get your hands on some quality finds and will be confused as to where to begin. Hence, understanding the fundamentals of thrifting is the best way to get started. Here are some pointers to help you on your way:

1. Get the right attitude

There's a good chance you won't find anything worth buying at a thrift store. This can be frustrating and discouraging, but we must learn that, everything can't go the way we want it to be. The most important thing to remember when shopping at a thrift store is to keep an open mind and to be considerate of what others want from their purchases. If something doesn't look or feel right in your hands, or if there are any other reasons why you wouldn't want to pay full price for it, you should walk away from it without hesitation and ask the shopkeeper if they would consider selling it for a little less than its original price.

Personally, I have seen a lot of items which is not worth the price the thrift stores charges. Hence, I always try to politely bargain the price, but if they still aren't willing to negotiate the price, then I just let go of the piece(unless I really love the item), because at the end of the day I should also feel satisfied with my purchase.

2. Search for quality

The first step to thrifting is to look for quality. When you're shopping, make sure the item is in good condition and has a story that can't be told by simply looking at it.

When I go thrifting, I always start with the item's exterior and check its quality. I make certain that the item I purchase is made of high-quality materials. I also like to pay close attention to the design details and make sure there are no obvious signs of wear and tear.

3. Know your size

Even before buying any clothes, the first thing you need to know is your size. Do carry a measuring tape to measure your size. However, if you fail to do so, then I would recommend you try the clothes on before purchasing them. If it doesn't fit right, then you can buy it for someone else, or you can alter it as well. 

Alteration can be risky, but if you visit an experienced tailor and tell them exactly how you want that item to fit you, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get disappointed. Because I've altered a lot of thrifted clothes that I couldn't resist buying, and they look absolutely stunning after a few modifications.

4. You may have to leave empty-handed

There has been times, when i have left a thrift store empty-handed, because shopping at a thrift store isn't like shopping from a typical retail store, as you aren't really aware of what kind of stuff you are going to get. In short, thrifting is like hunting, you can hope and dream about finding the Ultimate Bargain but must be prepared to be disappointed and leave empty-handed.

5. Know what you need

It's important to know what you want before you make your first purchase because it can be extremely difficult to determine which type of item you want when the store is large and has many different types of items. I would recommend taking some time to consider what matters most to you, and then make a list of your top priorities. After that, take pictures of everything that catches your eye and look for that kind of item once you go to a thrift store. 

If, you weren't planning on going to a thrift store but still do, I would recommend putting everything that catches your eye into a basket and then choosing from the selected items and narrowing it down based on fit, design, and condition.

Thrifting can be a fun and exciting experience, even if you're not sure what exactly you want to buy, and don’t be afraid to try something new! There are lots of exciting things out there that no one has ever tried before. Furthermore, be willing to ask for help if needed, because no one knows everything about thrifting, or how it works better than someone who's been doing it longer than you have (or at least knows someone who has). So, while thrifting, it all comes down to having a positive mindset which in turn can create a great experience.

I hope this blog has helped you with the beginner's guide needed before you start your thrifting journey. In case you have any questions or suggestions, please comment down below.


Thank you for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 items to look for in a thrift store

5 Famous Online Thrift stores in India

Thrifting tips before hitting the thrift stores